Friday, August 16, 2013

The Little Monsters! (App-tastic! #1 Class Dojo)

It would be remiss of me to have a technology and education blog without reference to some of my favourite educational technologies, so today I will tell you about my one of my current favourite apps for the classroom …



Class Dojo
I discovered this app through a colleague at a previous job. One day he started talking about this program that allowed you to award points to students for their good behaviour and take points away for their bad behaviour. At first I was sceptical; this seemed a bit too much like a primary school app rather than something to be used in a secondary classroom. Still I downloaded the app (it was free after all) and after spotting some funny shaped creatures decided it was not an app for me.

Fast forward and I can now admit that I was a little short sighted. Has the app changed? Not all that much: still funny shaped creatures, still awarding points. However, I have come to the realisation that while the appearance may be targeted at a younger audience, the uses for the app (affordances) are for all classrooms. Not only does this app allow you to keep real time track of student behaviour but it can actually improve your class’s behaviour.

I first tried this app with my Year 9 History class for a bit of fun. This is probably my best behaved class and I felt they would see the spirit of fun the app aimed at and not be offended that I was treating them like primary students. So I put it up on the overhead projector as they were working on an inquiry based task (see my previous blog for inquiry based learning) and just started awarding points for on task behaviour, helping others and hard work. The effect was almost immediate, some turned around and tried psychoanalysing their funny shaped creature as my representation of them (by the way: the creatures are randomly assigned) while others took a few seconds notice and got on with their work. However, once they got over the initial excitement of the creatures their behaviour started to change: they started behaving for points! As I said, this is my best behaved class but even the most off task of students started knuckling down to their research in an effort to be recognised and earn another point. This worked particularly well during the class discussion as everyone wanted to contribute so they got a participation point. At no point did I offer a reward for the person with the most points or signal that the points meant anything: they simply wanted more points and that was enough.

A word of warning though, the points system does not work for all students. In the same class discussed above, I had one of my best and one of my worst students both react negatively towards the point system. Both deliberately tried to get negative points as a protest against the system and thus needed more traditional classroom management techniques to get them back on task. So the lesson I learnt from this is that while it is fun to make the points public, it is better to keep them private and maybe just show the student their totals at the end of class or even not at all.

With this important lesson learnt, I spent this week using it in my Year 7 English class. I did not make the points public this time but instead just used it to keep track of their behaviour. This private use of the system made it easier for me as I didn’t feel pressured to award points and it helped me to be available to every student in the class. In particular, the random student selector option prompts you to award positive or negative points to a randomly selected student. This has been really useful as it helps me to get to all the students and see what they are up to rather than then handful of students who regularly monopolise my time. This has the added benefits of ensuring that I am moving around the classroom and making everyone feel more included. Moreover, the reports that can be generated from the app make long term classroom management planning easier. For instance, after each class I print off the scoring for each student – where it shows how many positive and negative points they got that lesson and the behaviours displayed – and quickly review them looking for multiple negative behaviours. By doing this, I have been able to identify some organisational issues that effect a well-intentioned and generally hard working student that I might have not noticed otherwise. So rather than miss an opportunity to help him improve his learning across all classes, consequently I have also noticed he is often the last to leave his locker and head to class, Class Dojo has alerted me to a problem through mere data.


In summary, Class Dojo is a great app for keeping track of behaviour in the classroom. While it can be used in a public sense to get students to monitor their own behaviour, I prefer to use it privately to help me keep track of all the students in my class. Not only can you record and monitor their positive and negative behaviour but the system allows you to add your own behaviours and thus customize the system. This has been particularly useful as I try to get my students to focus on organisation and practice Good Learning Behaviours (GLBs) and thus I can reward them for these specific behaviours. Moreover, the random student function provides a friendly reminder to get around to all students in every class and the summary data helps in long term planning. The best bit is that it is free and the recent update has made it much more user friendly. So try it today… you’ll never see your little monsters the same way again!

No comments:

Post a Comment